June 6, 2013

Learning to be an early riser

This week I have been terrible, down right horrible about getting in bed at a decent hour. Monday, I stayed up late watching Revenge--totally worth it. Tuesday, I didn't get home till midnight from the Braves game--again, totally worth it. Last night was trivia, and Ret talked me into staying and watching Redneck Island with him at the bar so I didn't get home again till almost midnight--not so worth it.. Last night's decision was rather unfortunate, because today I started my new work schedule.
Why do I do these things to myself?!

I now have to run morning tests on the system before every work day starts. I test at 5:30 at home, and then I drag drive myself into work aiming for a 6 am arrival time. Believe it or not, I actually called shot gun on this shift, because I now get to leave at 3 (which I think I got the raw end of the deal, as I was getting here at 7:30/8 and leaving at 4.. but whatever). 

Last night's adventure should have been cut just about an hour short {consequently the same length of Redneck Island.. again, why did I watch that?}. I got up this morning, actually an hour later than I was supposed to come to find out (I heard times wrong), and I am still doing this little number..


I will have to learn to say deuces to the world and crawl into my bed sooner from now on. On the upside, I'll now have the entire traffic free afternoon to do whatever I want! Traffic is half the struggle of why I can't get anything done on week days. Had you told me in college that I would be working at 6 am, I would have laughed in your face and braced myself for the impending firing that was going to occur, because I could hardly wake up at 8, and refused to take classes before 9:30 at least!


I'm going to have to find myself a new late night/early morning regimen to make sure that I am all bright eyed and bushy tailed for work. However, I am not completely ruling out doing my makeup at my desk, since I will be the only person in the office at that hour anyway. I think step one is going to be to begin drinking my apple cider in the morning (I loathe coffee). I just need to get back to the orchard and stock up on the good stuff. 

Does anyone have any tips to help me drag myself out of bed every morning now?

3 comments:

  1. I had to get up at 5:30 for student teaching, and what helped me was a coffee machine with a timer. When I stumbled out of bed, coffee was hot and ready for me! Plus, I would do a 10-minute yoga routine every morning. It definitely made things better!

    Kate
    katethealmostgreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is such a hard transition! I worked at a coffee shop for five years.. so that taught me well! but still, at times it is so hard to go to bed early because there is so much to do... but when that alarm goes off and you feel like "death" you regret it instantly! hope that you can work at this transition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the worst at this. I'm a definite night owl. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to bed early even when I have to wake up at the crack of dawn! xx

    ReplyDelete